Saturday, December 6, 2008

repetition...


you try to give me what is most precious to you;
i try to accept it without the gift knot strangling me.
my packages are broken with over handling.
your virgin bursts of energy unnerve my heavy hand
and i fall into the pattern, unwilling, hoping
to escape one more time…

the days beckoning me are behind;
yours are ahead, child of the morning.
how did we find each other on this icy slope?

of all people, i do not deserve this cold isolation…
the evening lifts its skirts to show the
night’s repast, frozen here…
and i am hungry, starving to step out into it
where you are arraigned in hazy blue smoke…

but i do not dare…i may not return.
the security of the past promises no further
hurt; no new corners to bend to, no new winds
to blow my hair into my eyes…

the ancient pain is bearable…i have lived with it
long enough to experience the rationale
that binds me to it…
if i give it up…for you…and the hint
of hope you extend….

what new griefs, unbearable shocks, will you
give to me in the tight fists of love
you hold out? you lifted me from the slope,
set me on my feet.
will you carry me to the summit?
Is there peace there, as you promised?

repetition
ja allen

No comments: